well within my reach
(Hawaii Five-O, Danny/Steve)
PG; Danny's pretty sure that tequila loves him more than Steve at this point.
- Misunderstanding fics are the best! And this one made me feel ~all the things! They’re pulling out of the parking lot before Danny remembers. “Why are you here? You’re mad at me.”
Steve sighs again. “I’m not mad at you, Danny.”
“You were mad when you left,” Danny points out. “And you left tonight. That’s pretty fast.”
“I’m not mad,” Steve repeats. “Why were you trying to drown yourself in alcohol?”
“Tequila loves me, even if you don’t,” Danny says, and even as drunk as he is, he can see the way Steve’s fingers tighten around the wheel.
“You’re going to be hating tequila in about six hours, if I had to guess,” Steve replies, keeping his voice light as he pulls into his own driveway. “Come on.”
Skies of Blue, Clouds of White
(Hawaii Five-O, Danny/Steve)
PG; He fills up every room, leaving little pieces of himself, blazing with light.When Danny finally, finally gives up his shitty apartment and moves in for real, it makes Steve's breath catch. Because the only way Steve can describe it is that someone just turned the electricity on and now there are lights and sounds where before there was only echo and shadow. Before that night, Steve had been walking around in the dark, sometimes with a flashlight, moving around mostly by feel, ignoring the corners that the dark hid, the memories that he simply could not face, could not brighten even temporarily. Then after that night, after Danny became an even more permanent fixture in his house, his life, his bed, Danny was his generator, filling up whole rooms with light and sound and life but taking it with him when he left, leaving Steve in the dark. But now, now all the old dingy bulbs have been changed and the stereo has been left on playing Louie Armstrong records.
Sif & Sensibility
(Thor, Loki/Sif, Jane/Thor)
PG; The fact of the matter is that Mrs. Aesir has too many sons and no one to inherit the estate. Someone must marry Thor, particularly if that someone is Lady Sif, recently returned to Asgardshire, and Loki will ensure that it happens by any means necessary — even at the cost of his own heart. Yet forces are at play to ensure no one inherits Mjolnir Manor at all. Will Mrs. and Mr. Aesir's past ruin any prospects of a future for their sons?
- Eeeeeee! Jane Austen fusion with Thor! Two great things coming together to make a baby of awesome! This is wonderfully epic and long and is mostly how Loki is crushing on Lady Sif- who's a warrior here as well even though it's a Victorian era - and feeling bad about having feelings for his brother's intended. There's some trouble with the Frost Giants as well that makes up the bulk of the conflict (besides the 'oh noes i'm in love with a girl who my brother is technically supposed to court' conflict). And it really feels like a family fic with a focus on Jane and Thor's blossoming romance, contrasted with that of Loki's and Sif's. And all I want with these characters are family fics. a girl worth fighting for
(Thor, Darcy/Sif, Jane/Thor)
PG; Darcy vs inexplicable courting rituals of Asgard.
- Darcy Lewis and Sif are the greatest things about the Thor movie. They aren't necessarily my OTP for the movie(s), but they work extremely well here. And they're IC and fun and quirky and I will never say no to more stories featuring them. Darcy doesn't know what to do with Sif, who's clearly taken with Darcy and is trying to court her in her own Asgardian ways, which baffle Darcy. It's awkward and adorable.
Whooooooo! Updated after two whole years of radio silence. Uh...I have no excuse. Carry on.Open the Door
(Teen Wolf, Derek/Stiles)
Teen; Derek gives Stiles his jacket.
- I had this bookmarked as "feel all the things" and "warm and fuzzy feelings" which I guess is about as descriptive as I can get. Also, the summary is a bit misleading - but in a good way, as in there's so much more that happens than Derek giving Stiles his jacket. It wonderfully, and slowly builds up Stiles' and Derek's romance, imho. ♥♥
To See You Smile
by nekomiao (OHSHC, Tamaki/Haruhi)
K; An attempt at a special moment between Tamaki and Haruhi.
- Wahhhh! Admittedly, I'm not that far into the anime but I wanted more Tamaki and Haruhi! And this fic delivered! There's awesome meddling and Kyoya being his sly self. Just lovely (a few grammar mistakes here and there but nothing *too* glaring). ♥♥ Fraught with imagined dooms
by afrai (OHSHC, Tamaki/Haruhi)
K; Most women marry men men like their fathers. This is the real reason mothers cry at weddings.
- This is sooo romantic and so weirdly funny/sweet like Ouran High School Host Club itself. The summary is misleading in that there is no wedding but there is Tamaki confessing his love for Haruhi and sprouting some weird nonsense in the middle of the night. But Haruhi still loves him and I love this. ♥♥ Anniversary
by Zombiegait (OHSHC, Tamaki/Haruhi, Ranka)
K; It's the one day of the year that Haruhi is noticeably different.
- A sweet, heartbreaking moment between Tamaki and Haruhi. ♥♥ Wonderful
by zauberer_sirin (OHSHC, Tamaki/Haruhi)
T; This is far from Tamaki's idea of a romantic first time.
- Awww! a future fic in which it's Tamaki's & Haruhi's first time with each other! It's soo wonderfully in character and romantic. ♥♥ Weakness
by Jezaraen (OHSHC, Tamaki/Haruhi implied, the gang)
G; Tamaki convinces the Host Club to partake in a little writing challenge.
- I found the summary intriguing and the whole fic, actually. It's the Host Club writing about their weakness and each of the Host Club members' voice shines through so well within the fic. I'd categorize it more as a gen piece but you could look at it anyway you wanted to.
by spuffyduds (due South, Benton Fraser/Ray Kowalski)
M; Fraser's tired and not thinking straight, but that might be in his favor.
- I love the first time described here, and how the sex is gradual- they don't just jump into bed together right away, which I love reading about more than the jumping into bed together right of. *shrugs* But it's awesome, how their fighting is just like in the show and even though it's romantic and slash, it's soooo IC and guh, hot. ♥♥♥The Man Who Has Everything
by Berty (due South, Benton Fraser/Ray Kowalski)
M; Fraser is celebrating a certain birthday and an unexpected visitor brings him the perfect gift.
- This is another favorite of mine, mostly because it's perfectly in character and romantic. Takes place post-series. I love how the mystery of why Ray's there in Canada for Fraser's birthday with more holdalls than he usually brings unfolds slowly and sweetly. There's just something warm and sweetly romantic about this story. *sigh* ♥♥♥ Bare
by Blackbird Song (Donald Strachey Mysteries, Donald Strachey/Timothy Callahan)
M; Donald Strachey doesn't need this. Only it's not like that.
- A wonderful introspection on Donald's character and how much he needs and loves Timothy - except told in a beautifully poetic way. I feel like a broken record just describing these awesome fics as romantic and sweet, but they are so I can't help it. ♥♥♥
A Voice that Soars
by Pun (Disney's Mulan, Cri-kee, gen)
G; Cri-kee dreams of letting his voice soar just like everyone around him.
- Awww, poor Cri-kee! This is adorable and very Disney. It's wonderful to get a fic from a point of view of the minor characters - and in this case, it's from the awesome cricket. Impropriety
by Miggy (Love Actually, David/Natalie)
T; It's taking Natalie a while to adjust to being in the spotlight.
- Beautiful post-movie fic about Natalie and David - perfectly in-character and hilarious and everything lovely about this pair. Restoration
by Leyenn (Doctor Who, Nine/Rose)
G; Corridors, a TARDIS key, tea, and no chips.
- A wonderful post-Father's Day
fic. More of a strong, friendship piece than romance between the two, but that makes it all the more heartfelt, especially considering what happens in the episode; liked that it was from Nine's point of view as well.
Things Moving and Known
by nightengale (FAKE, Dee/Ryo)
T; Dee, Ryo, and moving in together. Three years after the end of Book 7 and one month after "Like, Like, Love," from Ryo's perspective.
- Beautiful and adorable and sweet. The voices of Bikky, Dee, and Ryo are perfect. ♥ Two Hearts
by writingrose (Cardcaptor Sakura, Toya/Yukito)
G; Toya recieves an unbirthday present.
- I've always wanted something like this to happen in canon - Yue giving back Touya's gift - and it's wonderfully executed here. Everything She Has Ever Known
by Liafic (Avatar: The Last Airbender, Katara/Zuko, Aang/Katara, Zuko/Mai)
R; He is paler than she remembers, and she idly wonders if he still trains at sunrise every morning, or if he is now confined to palace walls and meetings and black ink on scrolls.
- Wow, does this pack a punch. It's post-series and has Katara wanting Zuko but not being able to be with him, and Zuko married to Mai but pining after Katara. It's not a happy ending for anyone, which is probably why this piece is so powerful. Just be forewarned that it has infidelity and strong Katara/Zuko angst (as well as Aang/Katara and Zuko/Mai angst - really, it's sad all around but a really good piece if you are in a sad mood).
by NeoVenus22 (SGA, Ronon/Jennifer)
G; "You're one of my better patients. Except for the part where you're in here once a week."
- I like the fumbling and the not-quite-sure-this-is-a-good idea mentality that Jennifer has - it's adorable and perfectly IC with Jennifer's character - but I also like that she gets a little bolder by the end because this is what she wants and it's right there in front of her face. ♥ The Proposal
by Kadorienne (Sleepy Hollow, Ichabod/Katrina)
G; Right after the movie ends, Ichabod pops the question.
- Awesomely IC and reminiscent of the movie. I love that it was also in first person and Ichabod's p.o.v. It was sweetly romantic. ♥ After the Rose
by stellar_dust (Doctor Who/The Little Prince, Ten/Rose, The Little Prince)
G; The Doctor and the Prince find they have some things in common, and Ten gets some good advice.
- Omg, what a perfect crossover! I feel like the style of the author matches up perfectly with the book, even though it's been a while since I've read the book. There's a sad tone to this, but also a hopeful one. I can totally see the little Prince and the Doctor being good friends. And the sheep! The sheep is totally an awesome third character here.
by rhiannonhero (Verbotene Liebe, Christian/Olli)
G; Christian after the incident with Axel.
- Awww! Sweet and tender and just what I'd imagine happened after Olli got injuried. Sometimes They Swim
by rhiannonhero (Verbotene Liebe, Christian/Olli)
G; Christian and Olli kissing in the rain.
- This was soooo adorable and amusing at the end, Gregor is an awesome brother. And kisses in the rain! The most romantic thing in the world, if there ever was a most romantic thing. now i will unsettle the ground beneath you
by Scintilla10 (Supernatural, Ruby/Jo) >Warning: issues of consent
NC-17; Jo gives her French fries the first time they meet.
- Wow, was this hot. I'd never think to ship this in the SPN fandom, but the story was just there and I miss both Ruby and Jo, so why the hell not. It's not at all romantic or fluffy, but just fits them and wow, do I wish something like this were canon.
The Halloween Parade
by j_crew_guy (The Golden Girls, ensemble)
G; Rose talks her roommates into doing a costume parade.
- A wonderful snippet with wonderful characterizations, and keeps in tone with the show. catch a wave
by withdiamonds (Supernatural, Sam, Dean)
G; Sam and Dean at the beach. A short flashfic.
- This was really bittersweet but also funny in some parts. Mary's one of my most absolute favorite characters on SPN, and this does her justice. I love the portrayal of how their family is and that despite everything, Sam & Dean still have each other and their memories from when they were a happy family. Point and Match
by trascendenza (When Harry Met Sally, Sally/Harry)
T; "You know, I didn't realize that clean sex was possible until I met you."
- Awww, Harry/Sally banter about clean sex. It's cute and sweet and very Harry & Sally.
Fever (Hold Me Tight)
by Siria (Stargate Atlantis, Ronon/Jennifer)
G; "I'm sorry," Jennifer said for what must have been the eighth or ninth time. "I have terrible timing."
- A wonderful Ronon/Jennifer piece in which Jennifer gets sick on Ronon's birthday; poetic and romantic. ♥ To come to such a place as this
by Liviapenn (The Saint, Emma/Simon)
T; Just sitting down to draw the map makes him feel vulnerable. Maybe this is how normal people feel when they're naked. Actually sending the map to Emma is even worse; Simon feels like he's been asked to open up his ribcage and pull out his beating heart.
- Yay! A fic based on the Val Kilmer movie. This has a fantastic Simon voice and characterization; it's romantic and sweet. ♥ Penance
by BlackMamba (Psycho, Norman/Marion)
NC-17; Norman doesn't remember the last time anyone asked him for a favor, never mind someone as pretty as Marion Crane.
- This was pretty disturbing - but in a good way. Disturbing and hot is the only way to describe it. The Norman here is written crazily well, and keeps in tone with the movie.
Guh, I suck at this updating thing. Can I say it's not my fault? College - it drains everything out of you. Link: Home Author: juri_anneRating:
Radek gets sick unfortunately, but fortunately he has Carson to take care of him. Warnings:
Oh, this was a lovely little splice of life between Carson and Radek. I haven't really ventured out past reading anything McShep but this was a wonderful time to dive into something new in the SGA fandom, and I'm so glad I did. Carson as a motherhen here, concerned and worried for his boyfriend, is absolutely adorable, but not over the top. Of course since Carson is a doctor one would expect him to fuss over his patients, even if he was seening one of those patients intimately, and I thought the author used that characteristic of his well and showed it wondefully. Excerpt: “You’re wearing Star Wars pajamas.”
Radek signed and placed his book open in his lap. “Yes, I am a grown man whose sleepwear is adorned with characters from the sci-fi movie Star Wars. Does this really surprise you?” He really didn’t want to have to defend himself to his lover, but sarcasm was warranted. Besides his head hurt and this was a stupid conversation.
Carson continued to look at him in silence for a few more minutes, shrugged, and continued with his previous task of changing clothes. “Touchy,” Carson scolded. “I guess it shouldn’t. I was just a little surprised since I’ve never seen them before.”
“No, you wouldn’t have. I’m usually wearing my work clothes or none at all.” Radek tried to give Carson a coy smile, but he could tell it came off as more like a wince. Unsurprisingly, Carson noticed as well.
Link: TwistedAuthor: thecolourclearRating:
Persephone/HadesSummary: Sometimes she likes to help Hades send them off to their various corners of Hell, and sometimes she smiles. Warnings:
A different take on Persephone and Hades, how they might've met and why he might've kidnapped her. It reads wonderfully- has an awesome narrative and fill-in-the-blanks for the reader's own interpretation. I have always had a fascination with the myth of Persephone and Hades, and it's wonderfully twisted here as well, how it's such a dark tale, yet they're one of the rare couples who've remained faithful to each other and it's romantic in a way (for the most part, unless I'm getting my myths wrong, which could very well be the case). It's just a wonderful portrayal of all the gods. Excerpt:"It is a process of life."
"I'm scared," she says, reaching for his hand.
"You are immortal, a child of the gods. You do not have to fear Phlegethon."
"I'm scared," she repeats, and he pulls her closer, holding her carefully as they watch souls catch and burn, catch and burn, catch and burn.
~*~*~*Link: Velvet Author: fireworkfiascoRating:
Ned/ChuckSummary: “I have something for you,” she says, and her voice slides down his spine like fingers. “Well, they’re really for me, but for you by proxy.”
Wow- this left me speechless. Ned/Chuck is my absolute favorite pairing, but of course the fact that they can't touch does leave me kind of disappointed because, since they can't touch, they feel the lack of contact in their relationship and it's a very bittersweet thing. I mean you do have them touching with other fabric between them, and it's nice and sweet and innocent, shows you that they still are crazy about each other even if they don't have something so many people take for granted, and then you have this
, where the touching is taken to the next, not-so-innocent level. It's not very graphic, but still hot, and it feels like you yourself are being unraveled. It's easy to imagine the characters' voices coming through here; I didn't want it to end. If this wasn't a family show, I'd want one of the episodes to be like this. Excerpt: “When you said my name like – like that, I felt like I – I felt like the most beautiful girl in the world. And I – I want to hear you say my name like that every day.” She slides her fingers down, both hands curling around his jaw.
The Pie-Maker can do nothing but close his eyes and swallow with great difficulty. The room feels far too warm, suddenly, and he’s being driven mad by the slow stroke of velvet across his chin.
Link: An Affair to Remember Author:
Tira Nog Rating:
John Sheppard/Rodney McKay Summary: Rodney McKay meets international playboy Johnnie Sheppard on a cruise to the French Riviera. Warnings:
So I had somehow stumbled upon this author's other fic called 'Resilence' that is a tag to the episode 'Trinity,' and, despite not having seen the episode yet, was blown away. Then I looked for more fics by this author and stumbled upon this AU one. And was blown away again. I just love this author's characterizations and their ease in writing long, complicated epic fics that make one glued to their computer screen. Seriously. I had read this and as soon as I finished, I went back and started from the beginning. Usually, by default, I'm not a big fan of works that are longer than 10k (this one clocks in at 91,472! which might as well be a published novel by itself), but this one is so the EXCEPTION. It's just...so magnificent and it astounds me how this fandom is so awesome at writing such fantastic AUs where the characters are their canon selves, but also, in a weird way, the author's own. It takes a wonderful location, wonderful characters, and a wonderful plot line to make it an epicly astounding, awesome fic. ( Read more...Collapse )
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Excerpt: Frustrated by his own inability to ignore reality, Rodney snapped on the radio for some distraction, and turned to go through his travel bag to make sure he'd put the Coppertone in. Considering the strength of the French Riviera's sunlight, he knew he'd burn no matter what, but with his sensitive skin, he had to take every precaution he could. He only hoped that the ship's menu would detail which meals contained citrus. Otherwise, this could be a very short trip for him.
He'd just found the three brown bottles of sun tanning lotion in his over-packed bag when the classical music cut off for a news break. Rodney tried not to listen, for he had no interest in current events, but the normally restrained announcer sounded especially animated as he reported, "And in the social news, international playboy Johnnie Sheppard was once again caught in flagrante delicto with another man. Though his immoral behavior has shocked and disgusted people worldwide, his fiancée, gravel heiress Elizabeth Weir, worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 million, insists that the marriage will go on as planned. I don't know about you, but I'd like to know what this Johnnie Sheppard's got . . . ."